Skip repetitive navigation
50th Anniversary Commemorative Web Site | Korean War 1950-1953  2000-2003
Heartland Heroes - presented by the Kansas Adjutant General's Department
Honoring Kansans' Contributions in the Korean War
  Home  History  Kansans & the War  Adjutant General
War History
Kansas Vets
Personal Stories
Image GalleryRelated Links
F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Info

< Adjutant General
< Kansas Web site

Kansas Veterans

Korean War Service Medal Information

Photo of the Korean War Service Medal with medal detail.      On August 20, 1998, Francis M. Rush Jr., Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, approved the acceptance and wearing of the Korean War Service Medal (KWSM). Military veterans, who served in the country of Korea, its territorial waters or airspace, are eligible to receive this medal. The period of service for the KWSM is June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. Veterans who served in Japan, Guam, Okinawa or the Philippines are not eligible.

     To be eligible, service must have been performed while on permanent assignment in Korea, while in temporary duty in Korea for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days, or while serving as a crew member of an aircraft in aerial flight over Korea participating in actual combat operations, or in support of combat operations.

Additional eligibility information:

     If the veteran is deceased, his/her primary next-of-kin (PNOK) may apply for the KWSM.

     If the veteran is married, the primary next-of-kin is the veteran's spouse, children or siblings, in that order of precedence.

     If the spouse is living, he/she must apply before the veteran's eldest son or daughter. If the veteran's eldest son or daughter applies, the request must explain that the spouse is deceased.

     If the veteran was not married, the PNOK is the veteran's father/mother or brothers/sisters, in that order of precedence.

     If the veteran's parents are living, they must apply before the veteran's eldest brother or sister applies. If the veteran's eldest brother or sister applies, the request must explain that the parents are deceased.

Information provided by

Republic of Korea
Korean War Service Medal Contact Information


U.S. Air Force Personnel Center
550 C Street West, Suite 12
Randolph Air Force Base, TX 78150-45714

Telephone: (800) 558-1404
Fax: (210) 565-3118
Web site:

     If required documentation is not available to the veteran or the next of kin, it may be obtained by contacting the local veterans service agency or by contacting:


National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Top of Page


 Gold starRelated InfoGold star

Logo bulletKansas Vets Home

Logo bullet Kansas Hall of Heroes

Logo bullet Kansas War-Related Photos

Logo bulletKansas Units in the Korean War

Logo bulletKS Commemoration Partner Committees

Logo bulletKansas Korean War Casualty List

Logo bulletKansas Korean War Memorials

Logo bulletKansas Veteran Memorials