Kansas Units Mobilized in the Korean War
127th Fighter Squadron, Kansas Army National Guard
History of the Unit Page 3 of 7
Go to page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
At the time of activation the airmen were clothed under existing National Guard allowances. These allowances were considerably under Air Force allowances, and the time delay in obtaining additional clothing created a serious morale problem, since the men were not properly clothed to carry on their normal duties on a full-time scale. It was then recommended that in the future a base supply be set up far in advance of moving a unit to a base to establish a stock level of clothing and spare aircraft parts.
For the first three months of active duty the average in-commission rate for Tactical Aircraft was 69 percent. Average in-commission for all aircraft was 57.4 percent. The latter figure included two F-84 aircraft in depot for repair not included in the first figure, one C-47, and one B-26C for transfer inspection and parts.
Before leaving Wichita, personnel made approximately three trips per week to Oklahoma City Air Material Area (OCAMA) to walk-through parts and supply requisitions. Pilot pick-up of parts had been used as much as possible to expedite receipt of parts, but this method had not been used very extensively by Base Supply at Alexandria.
The 127th engineering Section participated in "Operation Strawboss" by refueling fourteen F-84 aircraft in Wichita for a cross-country by the pilots. The 127th supplied line personnel and starting units. The city of Wichita supplied fueling units, and Boeing Airplane Company supplied a starting unit. This operation at Wichita was carried our on a Sunday, from 0700 to 2400 hours, with notification having been received the Saturday before at 2000 hours of the proposed arrival of the aircraft.
The first two months of operation at Alexandria were hampered by lack of crash equipment, adequate parts supplies, and lack of fuel and fuel servicing units. On 14 December 1950, Lieutenant James Dennison relieved captain Terye Rasmussen as Armament Section Officer, and on 18 December 1950, the Armament Section started construction of offices for the various sections of the squadron. This project was greatly expedited by the fact that several of the men on this project had brought their own personal tools.
On 20 December 1950, approximately 50 percent of the personnel left for Christmas leave. The remaining personnel kept up the maintenance of aircraft and continued with the construction of the offices. On 27 December 1950, approximately fifty personnel of the assigned returned from leave and the remaining men left for New Year's leave. Work on aircraft and offices continued, and everything operated very satisfactorily.
Beginning 5 January 1951, the squadron went under the Tactical Air Command (TAC) ninety-day training program. The 127th Fighter Bomber Squadron was selected as the first squadron of the group to go to Eglin Air Force Base for air-to-ground gunnery. Fourteen planes were taken on 3 February 1951, and during the entire stay of approximately ten days, eight of ten planes were kept flyable daily. During the stay, the squadron flew three hundred and two sorties, and the pilots attained an overall-percent average of its forty-seven percent, and an average of thirty-five sorties per day was attained.
A team from Chanute Air Force Base arrived to display and lecture on the F-84 aircraft, in conjunction with the use of complete mockups of the F-84. Each pilot completed this twenty-hour course.
A ground training program was in progress covering such phases as weather, gunnery procedures, chemical warfare, world events, etc.
The pilot status changed in that Lieutenant Flournoy and Lieutenant Robert Haines departed for duty with the Far Eastern Air Force (FEAF). Also, under the military pilot exchange program Captain Shirley from the United States Marine Corps was acquired.
Go to Page 4 - Kansas Air National Guard 127th Fighter Squadron