PLEASE NOTE that blanket approval is not granted for any organization. Programs scheduled for specific dates, times and locations are considered for approval by the board. The burden of proof is on the organization and/or individual making application. Approval is considered based on the material submitted.
63-6-2. STANDARDS FOR APPROVAL.(a) A continuing education course or workshop shall be qualified for approval if the board determines that the course or workshop meets the following conditions:
(1) Constitutes an organized program
of learning, including a symposium, that contributes directly to the
competency of the licensee;
(2) is related to the profession of mortuary science, funeral directing or embalming with content intended to enhance the licensee's knowledge, skill, values, ethics, or ability to practice as an embalmer or funeral director;
(3) is conducted by individuals considered experts in the subject matter of the program by reason of education, training or experience; and
(4) is accompanied by a paper, a manual or written outline that substantially describes the subject matter and length of the program.
(b) Continuing education credit not exceeding three credit-hours of the annual total required hours may be approved by the board for any of the following:
(1) Correspondence work;
(2) video, sound-recorded, or television programs;
(3) information transmitted by other similar means as authorized by the board; or
(4) community service programs that are related to the profession of mortuary science, funeral directing or embalming.
(c) Continuing education credit for service as a lecturer, presenter or discussion leader may be approved by the board if this activity contributes to the professional competence of the applicant. Repetitions of an initial presentations shall not be counted. Not more than 50 percent of total required hours may be satisfied in this manner.
(d) The maximum number of credit hours that shall be granted for any single continuing education course or workshop single topic is six.
(e) Lists of approved continuing education programs shall be furnished periodically by the board to licensed funeral establishments and to requesting licensees not employed by a licensed Kansas funeral establishment or branch establishment.
(f) A person, licensed embalmer, licensed funeral director, or organization requesting approval for a continuing education course or a workshop shall make application at least 30 days before the date of each proposed course or workshop. Applications filed but not meeting this deadline shall be reviewed by the board or the continuing education committee at its next regularly scheduled meeting.
PLEASE NOTE: Some programs may be very beneficial from a business standpoint. Continuing Education was established as an attempt to maintain and better the professional competency of licensees in serving the needs of Kansas consumers.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 13, 2005
Home | Purpose-Goal | Funeral Home Listings | Agency Information | Funeral Home Facts | Common Questions | Continuing Education | Funeral Preplanning | Education Services | Job Search | The Board | Legislation | Contact Us
Kansas State Board of Mortuary Arts - phone:(785)-296-3980 - fax:(785)296-0891