The Special Operations Division (SOD) is comprised of four regions: Topeka, Kansas City, Wichita and Great Bend. An Assistant Director and four Special Agents-in-Charge manage the division. Special agents assigned to SOD are responsible for conducting investigations of major narcotics producers and traffickers within the state. Investigations are either initiated through the Bureau or in support of other law enforcement agencies. Agents are trained in the detection of all drug types (www.usdoj.gov/dea/concern/concern.htm) although marijuana and methamphetamine are the most popular drugs of abuse in Kansas.
Some special agents are assigned to join federal and state narcotics task forces. State task forces managed by the KBI are the Southeast Kansas Drug Enforcement Task Force (SEKDETF), located in Pittsburg, and the Southwest Kansas Drug Task Force (SWKDTF), located in Garden City. Federal task forces included the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). The SOD also coordinates Midwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) program activities within the state and acts as the fiscal agent.
The SOD is responsible for coordination of the KBI's asset forfeiture program and the joint DEA sponsored federal/state Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program (DCE/SP).
Intelligence analysts assigned to SOD provide analytical support for operations.
The Special Operations Division of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation is dedicated to enhancing public safety in Kansas by providing professional investigative, tactical and technical services to the criminal justice community.
The Special Operations Division of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation will endeavor to be the leading state criminal investigative unit in the country. Excellence, professionalism and integrity will be the standards we maintain as we carry out our mission.
- We believe that aggressive investigation of serious criminal offenses is a critical component in the prevention of crime and the preservation of public safety.
- We believe in the importance of advanced training for our personnel and seek to improve our skills by seeking out meaningful training experiences.
- We believe in the importance of advanced technology to improve our investigative capabilities and actively pursue its acquisition.
- We believe in the importance of cooperation with the law enforcement agencies and citizens that we serve, to further the mission of the division and agency.
- We believe in the importance of doing the best job possible all the time every time and use all of the training, knowledge and equipment available to us in that pursuit.
- We believe in the integrity of the criminal justice system and maintain a personal set of values consistent with the highest ethical standards.
- We support the image of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation by always presenting ourselves professionally in appearance, word and deed.